Sunday, February 01, 2004

Sacred Journey

Finishing "The Secret Life of Bees" was all I did yesterday. What a wonderful day it was! I cried, I laughed and I grew. My family buzzed around me all day and watched me finish off this book. Heating pad plugged in to keep my feet warm and a warm fuzzy blanket on the couch. "Man mom, you've been reading all day!" "Yes, thank you for that my loved ones." I dogeared several pages I thought I would share some stirrings and reflections.

"And I was struck all at once how life was out there going through its regular courses, and I was supended, waiting, caught in a terrible crevice between living my life and not living it."

I'm sure many of us felt this way one time or another. I know that my life is full today. But there are days when I feel like I'm either messing up or trying to find something that is mine? Trying to find my true calling? This is sounding all too familar? I'm tired of starting something and not seeing things to the very end. Or at least it seems that way to me. Like I'm some kind of failure...I'm not. I know i'm not.
I started reading another book last night by Robert Fulghum called "It Was on Fire when I Layed Down on it." This book is full of essays. One of them starts out saying that"John Pierpoint died a failure." Then he proceeded to go through all the avenue he traveled..."a schoolteacher and failed, a laywer and failed. a bussiness man and failed. He wrote poetry and failed to get enough royalities from them. A minister and failed because of his position on prohibition. A politician and failed. When he died the words on the granite read: POET, PREACHER, PHILOSOPHER, PHILANTHROPIST. "His commitments to social justice, his desire to be a loving human being, his active engagement in the greater issues of his time {late 1800's} and his faith in the power of the human mind-these are not failures." A reformer! Even though he is well known to this day for writting "Jingle Bell" a song about the simplest of joys, It's about the simple joys! It's about the simple things you bring to life, and life brings to you and to others. It's not a failure but a chance to try again. Maybe make a difference {this might be key} Get out of the crevice and live LIFE! simply, peacefully together. { sorry, I had to say it}.

Next~

"I was sure they'd pictured May's last moments, too, but I did not see horror on their faces now, just a heartbroken acceptance."

What a tragedy.
When my mother finally killed herself with a gun to the heart and I recieved that phone call.......I was relieved. I didn't have to worry about her making yet another attempt on her miserable life. Unlike May who was able to use the wailing wall in order to cope, my mother used booze and several suicide attempts. She feared life like no other I know. She was angry,scared and hated. She was even part of the KKK! She was an eternal victim and lived her life that way to the end. So there was no horror in the faces of Dixies' children, just relief and a brokenhearted acceptance. Now she can be a peace.

~next

"There's a fullness of time for things, Lily. You have to know when to prod and when to be quiet, when to let things take their course."

I sure could have used an August in my life. Especially at Liliy's age. Lily in most ways was so much more mature than I was at her age. I guess that has to do with her love of reading. Not something I experience until later in life.

"You have to know when to prod and when to be quiet, when to let things take their course."

Something I am still trying to improve on. Or still learning about. Sometimes I fell I am running behind.... In knowing these ADULT things?

~next

"You have to find a mother inside yourself. We all do. Even if we already have a mother, we still have to find this part of ourselves inside." You don't have to put your hand on Mary's heart to get strength and consolation and rescue, and all the other things we need to get through life," "You can place it right here on your own heart. Your own heart."

The universal mother in me is looking for a passage to wholeness .

~I feel that the essence of all spiritual life is your emotion, your attitude toward others. Once you have pure and sincere motivation, all the rest follows. You can develop this right attitude toward others on the basis of kindness, love, and respect, and on the clear realization of the oneness of all human beings. This is important because others benefit by this motivation as much as anything we do. Then, with a pure heart, you can carry on any work—farming, mechanical engineering, working as a doctor, as a lawyer, as a teacher—and your profession becomes a real instrument to help the human community.


~ Dalai Lama

next book please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home