Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Been Around Lately?

Yes, I am still around.

I have been reading other blogs, but writting nothing on mine. I have been spending my time reading these days and boiling sap for maple syurp! Five Gallons and all we got was a pint. But what a neat experience. I am reading an old classic version of The Swiss Family Robinson. A bit rough to get through but and very enjoyable adventure. It amazes me the amount of provisions they had on that ship. But the part I love the most is the on going knowledge the Father has to offer his boys on a daily basis. This might have been one of the first real pioneers of homeschooling!

Sunday school is winding down. We have one more fund raiser. This one is for Habitat for Humanity We are having a coffee cookie hour call "Eating Healthy for Habitat." No cookies! Just healthy foods.

Heifer sent me a matching coupon, so we will beable to double what funds we did raise this year! The kids will like that, but they won't like the fact they won't beable to pick out the animals this time. All proceeds are going to Tanzainia for dairy goats.

One of the christian Ed. people asked me if I had any thoughts about sunday school this summer. I was surprised to hear that. I just assumed I would have the whole summer off and someone else would do the VBS stuff. I don't want to . I don't think we will be there all that much this summer. Not to mention others won't be there on any regular basis either. In fact it is down right depressing the lack of numbers you have in the summer time, not to mention the rest of the year! So I told her that I had not thought about that yet and that I would have to get back to her. I could have sworn that I saw a "chicken look" or a " I can't believe you won't .....or "Please......I know what that means." LOL. Yup, it means No way Babe! We have selfish plans of our own and it doesn't include this church! Sorry I won't be there for your children, but most of the time they will be the only ones in the class!

What keeps us at this small church. What does it really have to offer my children? They hate chimes, but they do it because I ask them to. The woman who heads it has been doing it for a century. She won't be around much longer. Childrens choir has gotten a little better, but.........
Sunday school is what it is. Not by the book by any means but a good thing. So outside of all that the church doesn't offer much. I want my kids to have life long friends from the church experience. But the only friends are those from this woman who asked me what my thoughts are for sunday school this summer. That's not enough. I would like my girls to experience more. More firends their age, more activities, more retreats, more hands on community outreach programs. Camp Mack sucks! It is so boring. The good stuff doesn't really happen until you are a teenager in the Brethren church....at least at our church. So why do we go? Why do I teach sunday school? Why do I want to be a stephen's minister? I just don't know anymore. Maybe it is time to draw back for a while.

~Always remember the distinction between contribution and commitment. Take the matter of bacon and eggs. The chicken makes a contribution. The pig makes a commitment.--John Mack Carter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home