Tuesday, June 15, 2004

God is infinite.

Reading another good book by Madeleiene L'Engle "The Moon by Night". Vicki , a soon to be fifteen year old, is questioning her world, God and fairness. She is stuck between not quite a child but not quite a young adult. Her Uncle Douglas who is she is very close to, had this to say about God. It couldn't be more the way I have been experiencing myself. I just never saw in words before. Let me share:

On Fairness:
"The rain is raining all around"
"It rains on both the just and the unjust fellow
But more, it seems on the just than on the unjust,
For the unjust hath the just's umbrella.
~Author unknown

"As long a man has freedom of choice, then we have to assume the responsiblity for our own actions."


On God:
"One of the biggest facts you have to face Vicky, is that there is a God and he's infinite, and we're finite, and therefore we can't ever understand him. The minute anybody starts telling you what God thinks, or exactly why he does such and such, beware. People should never try to make God in man's imagie, and that's what they're constanly doing. "When I wasn't much older than you, I decided that God, a kind and loving God, could never be proved. In fact there are, as you've seen latley, alot of arguments against him. But there isn't any point to life without him. Without him we're just a skin disease on the face of the earth, and I feel too strongly about the human spirit to bebale to settle for that. So what I did for a long time was to live life 'as though' I believed in God. And eventually I found out that the 'as though' had turned into a reality."

The 'as though' is still in process for me. I felt for years that I was playing a role that didn't fit, but come to find out, my spirtual growth just was what it is then and it contines to grow now.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home