Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Our time together as a family is priceless

Went camping on a whim Sunday. It's amazing how much time we really have as a family when we don't go to church. See, our situation is a little different than the average working stiff. My husband work evenings, which puts our weekends in a different place than the norm. Tom comes home saturday morning and needs to sleep till at least 3:00. So there goes Saturday especially if there is some function going on that night which is very common anymore. Then there is Sunday which is up early for chime practice for the gilrs ( a neat way for them to suck in the parents to being there every sunday) and sunday school. Next thing you know it's noon and half the day is gone. Now, that's if there are no after church activities like potluck or Deacon groups or tri-annual meetings. So this summer we are taking off and not going at all. I mean at all! When we got home from our campout I noticed that our overnight stay felt like a much longer and relaxing stay. Why is that? Why did it feel like we were actually gone for two or so days? Tom thinks it's because we have a whole day together as a family with no other obligations. It's true! So where does that put us when it comes to church? Do we go anymore? we do cherish our precious one day together. What are we getting out of church? What are the kids getting? Tom says "nothing I'm sure". I think he is mistaken. Personally, I feel that I would not have found several callings if it wasn't for church life. As for the kids, they have been exposed to a great religious heritage that have peace as it's backbone. And as for Tom, I believe he gets adult social time with the intellect he craves and appreciation he is humbled by. ( I don't think he knows this). So, Yes, we will go back, for how long I'm not sure. I think it depends on how selfish we want to be. Our Pastor has resigned this week. His last day is August 31st. Maybe this will open up things a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home