Monday, October 18, 2004

We were invited to the Housers' farm for an afternoon of fall festivities.
Tractors, wooden crates full of yellow and red apples. Tarps cover the ground under the next tree to be shook by crazy man Joe and John. Testing many apples before they go on the tractor to be hauled back to the house for processing. My husband was so much like a kid in this enviroment. Apple picking and tasting, large farm equipment and fresh popcorn popped over an open fire. Half of the people I didn't know.. Obviously family. A big family. All of them there to pitch in for this annual event that goes on well after dark. A sharp 38 degrees and we were ready to get home to our PJ's. As we were leaving there was still a slight hint of a sunset. So open. So beautiful was the smokey gray layers of clouds that cover the toe nail of a moon. I felt the need to be on a horse and ride off in to the fields.

October 29th gives me another opportunity to experience my second spiritual gathering of women. This is done in the Native American Tradition. Yes, this means a bon fire, rhythmic instruments, prayers, giving, recieving and grounding foods. I look forward to tending the fire this time. This gives me a little more freedom in movement because as the fire tender you don't have to follow the walking rules. To walk into the sacred circle you must walk in one direction. when you leave the circle you leave in the same direction. When recieving the talking stick you recieve with the right hand and give with the left because it is the hand closest to your heart. There are so many things to remember. I hope to be open, to be more mindful of things outside of myself and look out into the world more for it's needs.

We found a new grammar tutor for the girls. It looks like it will work out just great. What a big relief. I felt a little lost not having this area covered. Now that it is, I feel a motivated need to add things. wish me luck!

A blasting Bon Fire this weekend. First a homemade Japanese meal with good friends. If the weather forcast stays the way it is now, it will be too good to be true of a night. Nothing like a little rain the day before a big burn. It tames things out a bit. Logs to cut this week for seats. Can't wait!

Change of Life
This morning I wake up
Knowing without a doubt
That I must change my life
In every way,
From inside out.
Today I feel the old constrictions
Longing to soften
And melt in running streams
Offering fresh invitations.

I have not loved enough.

What would it be like,
To let my heart
Open fully to this aching world?


And what else is there to do?


~ John Welwood

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home