Thursday, May 25, 2006

Bring on the rain!

I am amazed at how the garden just seems to glow and vibrate after a good thunderstorm






I have a dump truck coming today with 16 cubic yards of woodchips from the organic resource center. I'll have my work cut out for me for the next week.
I'm a huge fan of woodchips (not bagged or colored). It gives the garden a very natural look. Over the years I've purchased less and less woodchips as the garden expands and takes up the spaces between the plants. But this year I have another garden going in. We have a grassy ledge up in front of the house that is framed in with two feet of flagstone on three sides. I've always wanted to bring plants from the garden out front and place them on the ledge so I could see them from my window. Several layers of newspapers will go down first to kill the grass. Then 4-5 inches of woodchips. I can't wait to start planting this fall!!!






This purple Iris is from the Iris man down the street. I haven't seen his sign out yet. Maybe all the trash cans covered it up. I'll try to look for it again later today.




My friend Joe runs a Christmas tree farm and decided to start a nursery business in the off season. Lands once filled with trimmed Christmas trees, now have perennial plants, shrubs and trees.
I purchased three dwarf lilac bushes with high hopes that they would bloom for me. Getting the blooms all depends on how early the canopy comes in. Now last year, it came in a week or so early so there were no blooms. I think the cooler extended spring delayed the canopy this year and the lilacs were able to bloom. what a blessing.



I call this "The Well" garden. Two years ago, we went from a 2 inch water well to a 4 inch . As a bonus, we received one of those ugly, sticking out of the ground a whole 12 inches, blue and white capped pipes. "Oh please....we have to do something about this." So I went out and purchased one of those hollow rocks and slapped it in! This is a real pre-formed cement rock! Not one of those plastic ones. They look okay (from a distance) and are significantly cheaper but I needed the look and feel of the cement rock.



*Currently reading:
















*Things I hear at night when the windows are open:




~The pond frogs looking for the pond that dried up six years ago. Developers came in and damed up a nearby wetland to make a lake for condo dwellers. (Losers)

~ Raccoons screaming, more like mating or fighting over the cat food that I left outlast night. oops!

~ Some nocturnal bird I haven't Identified yet.

~ A very loud obnoxious motorcycle, that you could hear five miles before it came down your street, waking you up with your heart in your throat! Makes you want to pull the garden hose across the street as they pass by eh?

~ My dog Mackinaw. barking at anything that makes a noise outside and waking me up several times!

Man! I need a nap!

2 Comments:

Blogger Naturegirl said...

LYNNE I loved reading this post!You have one of those amazing men too.. mine made my post today.Is that ivy or moss growing up the tree trunks...if moss send me a bunch...I love it..can't have enough of it!! You can't wait for fall!!
No!! We're just into spring!!(I have no ants on peonies but loads of wasps..I will surely post the blossoms when they burst open!)

12:03 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Well NG,
I think I should rename my blog "The Impatient Gardner" Because that is what I am for sure. I didn't mean to rush the season. Yes, of course it's just spring. what was I thinking? I know, I want it all filled in now! LOL!!

What is climbing up the mighty oak is good old English ivy. I love the look. It climbs up the house as well and I let it. My husband goes nuts wanting to rip it all down "It will crack the motar." he says. " By the time it cracks the motar dear, well be dead and gone, and it will be some elses problem or maybe not. Let it be!" I look forward to the peonys!!!

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home