Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hummingbird Dreams



I saw my first Hummingbird of the season on Friday and felt the need to get the feeders up. As usual , I end up loosing those suction cup thingys for the window feeders and had to run out to find replacements.
.59 cents. I can handle that.

Every year my girls get me something for the garden for Mother's Day. This year was a squirrel proof bird feeder and three glass vials to make my own wire holder for a hummingbird feeder. Man, do they know me? What fun it was to make one. It was the perfect thing to do yesterday during the on and off rains we are still having. I'm now thinking of several different ways to make this nifty holder. Like I need one more thing to do right? I'll file that as a rainy day activity.

The rain has brought new life to the garden. The urgency to get out there and finish the work I started before the rains came nags at me. The plants that were small two weeks ago are now large and I am concerned about moving them now. I am now envisioning myself running out to the gardens between rain drops and digging up plants and moving them and then running back into the house before it starts raining again. It could happen!?!

everytime I go out there, I see so much work. Why should this be so worrisome?
I feel an urgency to get a certain amount of work done because the cool weather isn't going to last much longer. You know how spring has been in the past, cool with a good amount of rain and then BAM! Hot, humid and no rain! I don't work well outside in those hot, dry and humid conditions. So if the majority of the 'garden' work doesn't get done during the coolest of times, things get pushed or dismissed until next year. I still have some catching up to do from last year. If I just get my head into it, I could get all the work I would like to get done in five to six days. I hate to think how sore I'm going to be. :>D

2 Comments:

Blogger Ki said...

Sadly we only usually see one ruby throat a year. We excitedly have put out hummingbird feeders for a couple of years to no avail. I hope you have better luck. My relatives in NM have them by the dozens all fighting to get to the feeders.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

The most I've ever had was two and they seem to be in competition for the feeder, so now I have several. I hope to atact more than one or two this year. The red throat is the most common. I'd love to see a humming-moth!!! thanks for stopping by.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home