Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"Why garden? God knows." -Mirabel Osler

I can't get myself all worked up on remembering what everything is called in the gardens. I'm into gardening for the beauty not the naming and knowing. I am truly a gardener who buys a plant that she doesn't have already that fits the light requirements and I plug it in and say "good luck to ya and thanks for blooming for me this year."

The Iris guy down the street whom I get my Iris' from is a sweet, in his 80's old man. He has a couple acres of iris varieties galore! I look forward to going every year and getting a few more to add to my growing no-name collection. He never seems to remember me but knows every iris he has in the HIS garden. I will be looking to see if his sign is up in his front yard announcing that his garden is open and the iris' are ready. It will be a very sad year when I don't see that sign............




~Star of Bethlehem?

I'm a big believer of going along railroad tracks or on the roadside to dig up plants to bring them home. I do find myself wanting to save plants that will be destroyed because of developers tearing up the woodland and building. (trilliums, rue,bluebells, baneberry for instance) NO, I don't dig in people's yards at night in camouflage or dig up what the county has put out along the highways, Silly.

I have a woman's tool in my car at all times ( a small shovel) thanks to my mother-in-law. So, whenever I find a gem in the rough I'm there and ready! Friends find it strange my method of achieving plants, but half my garden wouldn't be here if it wasn't for this technique. Whenever I start the sentence " Hey, I saw these plants.....They'd say "Are you going on a plant caper?" (Mission impossible music playing)

One time I had a yard sale and a woman came down our driveway and told me she just dug up a bunch of hostas and put them out to the street for the trashman to pick up. "WHAT!?....WHAT?..... Where do you live?" I ended up with four very huge hosta's!! So huge that when I put the hatch door down on the van the leaves were sticking out all over! Several times this has happened over the years. Thanks to my husband's keen eye and abilities at trash picking, we have achieved most of the green and white hosta's in our garden due to people digging them up and tossing them out for the trashman!

We are the plant savers!!!! LOL!
sooooooooooooooo, reading the next sentence won't sound so weird maybe?

Okay, so I found these bulbs in the woods behind a bowling alley next to the railroad tracks.
They are interesting because they don't bloom until all the nice green grassy parts are starting to die back. I have several clumps of these and this is the first year all of them have bloomed.




My sister-in-law was moving and wanted some of the family members to take plants and save them for her so when she moved into her new home she could start her new garden and save money. I think this is part of the buttercup family. It is a very aggressive groundcover. The one small plant I received three years ago has turned into ten feet of golden blooms.
Not complaining!


Have a great day!


5 Comments:

Blogger Naturegirl said...

I so enjoyed reading the above post! I hear you on "name that plant." When asked I say "wait until I check my garden journal." I'm seeing with posting that names are important.I"ll be back! :)

3:49 PM  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Great plants and funny post.Mission impossible music.You must be good at selecting specimins for your garden.They look beautiful.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Somewhere in Ohio said...

Hey, I think when you came to visit, you snuck out in the middle of the night and dug up some of my prize winning...... no, wait..... I just have mud! :)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Busted!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! You have just released me from feeling as if I have to know the name of every plant in my garden or on earth, for that matter. I love that you save plant lives. What is it about hosta & it being left on the sidewalk--ditto that one, someone just told me the same story and she actually knocked on the person's door to ask if they really were getting rid of the huge mound of hostas they'd left on the sidewalk with the week's garbage. Yes, indeedy, they were & the hostas came home w/my friend who then shared them with the master gardener garden we volunteer at. Those hostas went everywhere. Nice post!

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home