Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Blood Sisters

Do you remember being blood sisters or just hearing about it?
I remember becoming blood sisters with two other girls whose names and face escapes me now. But, I do remember the details. I was the only one who actually poked their finger with a needle, while the other two just picked some old scab to get it to bleed again. We did it anyway dispite the legalities.

Just this past weekend, my daughter Amy and her two closest friends at school decided they wanted to become blood sisters. They took this very seriously. I asked the parents if they were on board with this ceremony and they were!!! We ended up exchanging stories about our experiences with names remembered or not, we did remember the act of poking ourselves with something sharp and producing blood at the sacrifice of others. Your not going to forget that.

To me this act of sisterhood gives the currant friendship a more sense of committment, responsibly and loyalty. This is the respect that should be given to all our sisterians....agreed?

The event took place at our house with dinner and a sleepover. After playing soccer in the front yard for hours and dinner, they were ready. They requested candles, sterilized needles and fingers then off to bedroom.
I closed the door behind me and waited. Ten minutes later, they came out and said the 'pins' I gave them were not workng. The skin on thier fingers were picked up just a bit. just enough to make it look like they tried.

"LOL!!! Okay...now what?"
"How about we try knives?"
"What? your parents are going to kill me!"
"No, no...it will be okay, were just going to prick our fingers. it won't take long!"

Knives all around. I closed the door behind me and waited.
Another ten minutes or so and out they came having accomplished the deed. No knives were needed. barely any needles either except for one girls who managed to poke herself with it and produce blood. The other two PICKED A SCAB!! Hello? Isn't that freaky? History was repeating itself!!! I laughed so hard I needed Depends or start up the kegels again!!!.

I hope Amy remembers names and faces thirty years from now. I've yet to find out what words were spoken during their ceremony. I hope to find out soon. I 've known these girls since they were in Kindergarden. I like them very much. I even love them. "We are related now!" they said. " We were already" I said.

Fall Equinox:

In a few days the Fall equinox will mark the first day of fall. Fall has been here for weeks now I swear. This is my favorite time of year so I'm glad it came early.

After dropping off the girls, I was driving down Riverside on my way home and the sun came out for the ride . A new front on the horizon threathening rain with the clouds rolling up like mountains in the distance making me feel, for just a few seconds, that I am somewhere else. At the same time the sun's angle changes the once familar landscape into something new and unfamilar adding to the sense that I am somewhere else just briefly. Meanwhile, I have sun for the ride home. Not only the sun but a huge rainbow. I believe the pot of gold this time was Saint Mary's Church.
Hello Fall.



The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And I cut
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.
- September, John Updike

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Clark said...

Oooh...lovely entry. And fall is the perfect time for sisterhood...

9:41 AM  
Blogger Somewhere in Ohio said...

I remember pricking fingers! How great that the tradition is continued. Wish I could be with you to enjoy the beautiful season....

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home