Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Yellow-shafted Flicker





Photo credit from Wikipedia
A Flicker has been hanging around our suet feeder for the past four days. He is impressive in size compared to the size of the feeder.
We had a bit of snow last night. Just enough to make it damp and cold. I would have to say the mild weather was nice when we had it.
First day back to school for the girls . They woke up well as usual. Lucky me. I do expect an emotional breakdown by tonight from my youngest as she makes the transition in her sleeping habits. what can I say. My radar is up.
Spent most of my day on the computer suming up the differences in the two choices we have for our vacation this summer. What a sobering reality it can be.
WE look forward to a quiet weekend. Let's hope for some snow!

4 Comments:

Blogger Ki said...

Lynne,
Wow! outstanding photo! The flickers around here are so wary that you can't approach more than 40-50 feet away and they're gone. In fact most of the woodpeckers are pretty shy and will either hide behind the tree or fly off.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Ki
I didn't mean to mislead anyone into thinking that I had taken that Photo. My mistake. I apologize. Bird photos take more paitence than I have. I just wanted to share the newest bird at the feeder. My daughter dragged me away from my reading to show me "the big brown bird" at the feeders. I love your two sites. esp. the plants and trees. The google search is a grand idea for those who want to know more about a particular plant that you are featuring. a must do! thanks for stopping bye. I look forward to spring!!!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

I know what you mean about 'Bird photos take more patience than I have'. I bought a long lens to specifically take bird photos but still can't seem to get close enough to them with 17x zoom. And the ones that frequent the bird feeders are only the common ones like juncos, sparrows, finches, chickadees, cardinals etc. The interesting ones are here and gone before you get your camera out and then if you're fast enough the batteries are dead. I thought of building a blind but again only the most common birds come to the feeder so why bother? Still a very nice photo of the flicker. Thanks for posting it. Wow you have a fancy word verification font.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

I think the word verifications are getting more complex? Sometimes it takes me two tries. How sad is that?

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home